Teaching the next generation: staying ahead of the growing need
Supporting the health of our communities requires us to identify and plan for the growing and changing needs – and then making sure we have the right experts to support those needs. This means we must support the next generation of WellSpan team members – ensuring our future leaders have the training and community-minded approach needed to live out our values. Across our service area, our medical education programs have been hands-on with community needs and initiatives, such as:
- WellSpan Good Samaritan Hospital family practice residents collaborated with Lebanon Valley Volunteers in Medicine and Juntos De Lebanon to provide diabetic education and support to Spanish-speaking community members and provided clinical support to Lebanon Valley Family Health, a clinic for underserved residents of Lebanon, focusing on prenatal care.
- WellSpan York Hospital residents and faculty participated in the York Giving Thanksgiving food drive and distribution.
- WellSpan York Hospital emergency medicine residents regularly volunteered with the York Fresh Food Farms.
- WellSpan York Hospital internal medicine residents educated students attending York City Schools about the dangers of vaping.
- Residents from WellSpan Good Samaritan Hospital and WellSpan York Hospital are working together and with community groups to reduce gun violence in our communities by seeking ways to improve hospital system screenings and processes. By identifying patients and their family members who may be victims of gun violence, as well as improving the network and partner organizations to support victims of gun violence, we are building a safer community.
|Initiatives We Support||Our progress in 2020|
|Clinical and Non-Clinical Research||Remained committed to the latest technology and research in healthcare by contributing more than $1 million to research in oncology, orthopedics, pulmonary and neuroscience.|
|Forensic Examiner Pediatric Case Review||Reviewed 910 pediatric sexual assault cases to identify opportunities for prevention and education.|
|Forensic Examiner Team Community Education||Provided town hall community education opportunities that reached 80 community members.|
|Greencastle- Antrim Endowment Scholarships||Awarded $30,000 in scholarships to graduating seniors at Greencastle- Antrim Senior High School who are pursuing a career in health care.|
|Project Search||Completed its 10th year as a job training and education program for students with disabilities at WellSpan York Hospital, celebrating 84 graduates to date. Completed its fifth year at WellSpan Gettysburg Hospital, with 22 graduates to date.|
|School Nurse In-Service training||Engaged more than 125 school nurses and counselors regionally in Franklin, Adams and York counties to provide updates on pertinent health topics affecting children and families.|
|WellSpan York Hospital Narrative Medicine program||Provided opportunities for healthcare professionals to leverage the arts and humanities to ensure WellSpan patients are seen and heard.|
|Convalesent plasma for COVID-19 patients||Provided more than 140 WellSpan COVID-19 patients with convalescent plasma to help them fight the virus, via a partnership with Keystone Health in Franklin County.|
|COVID-19 Cancer patient research||Worked with more than 100 health institutions to study COVID-19's impact on cancer patients.|
|Second Annual WellSpan Women's Wellness Day||Provided education to more than 160 women from Franklin and Cumberland counties on women's health topics.|